Are you overwhelmed trying to figure out how your going to organize your messy garage?
We moved into our new home one year ago and the garage has been the catch-all for all the things we couldn't find a “home” for. We have shoes, boxes, old paperwork, outdoor toys, tools, old baby stuff like carseats and strollers that we no longer use and much more.
As you can probably imagine, the messy garage causes me stress everytime I try and park my car in it!
In my quest for simplifying our life, I am tackling the messy garage this week and keeping it simple!
How to Organize Your Messy Garage Step by Step
This is the process I am using to declutter and organize our garage:
- Grab a large trash can and one large box for donations.
- Start with one corner of the garage and start decluttering the mess.
- Throw away anything broken or so used that you wouldn't give it to your worst enemy into the large trash can.
- Donate as many items as you can that you haven't used in a while or have duplicates of and put in the large box.
- Anything that you want to keep and spend the time organizing later, put in the middle of the garage.
- Move to the next area of the garage. Repeat the process of trashing, donating, and group the items that you are deciding to keep with similar items in the middle of the garage. For example, shoes in one pile, outdoor toys together, tools together, etc.
- Rinse and repeat until you have made your way through the whole garage and the only thing in the middle are the items you are needing to keep.
How to Organize a Messy Garage with Only 3 Storage Solutions
Remember, we want to keep this as simple as possible and as painless as we can, am I right? My goal was to tackle this project in a weekend and I needed to keep it simple!
The 3 Storage Solutions I decided we needed to organize our garage were:
- Garage Shelves or Racks
- Wall-mounted Tool Organizers
With these 3 types of storage solutions, I knew I could put everything we needed to keep neatly away and looking nicely!
Garage Shelving & Racks
There are as many ideas and creative DIY tips you will find online for building custom garage shelving but who has time for that? Also, I was not fortunate enough to marry a man who has those type of skills so I had to turn to my trusty online shopping for my garage shelving solution.
I ultimately chose to use these garage shelves because I actually had 5 sets of these that we had purchased for our inventory in our warehouse when we had our Amazon FBA business. So I re-purposed these shelving units and placed them in our garage.
How Deep Should the Garage shelves be?
This garage shelving unit is 48″W x 24″D x 72″H. It is plenty deep enough to fit large items on each shelve. It can handle up to 4,000 pounds of weight and the shelves are adjustable as well to accommodate different sizes of storage bins you may want to use. They are very easy to assemble with no nuts or bolts required.
A Pegboard Kit for the Garage Organization Was a Must in My Opinion
I wanted to have as much floor space available as I could so any way I could find to hang supplies, I seized it. I loved this metal Pegoard Tool Storage Kit I found at Walmart because it looked sleek and had the black accessories with it. You can purchase as many as you want to fill up the wall space to accommodate all the tools you want to hang. This is tool organization at it's finest! The picture shown below has 3 – 4ft pegboards mounted right next to each other.
How do you hang a pegboard?
This garage pegboard is easy to install. The mounting hardware is included to hang all 3 pegboards including all screws and sheet rock anchors. The pegboard panels mount directly into studs or sheet rock with no framework required.
Must Have Wall-Mounted Tool Organizers
Like I said, off the floor was my main goal with this messy garage organization project. I perused many types of tool organizers that I could mount on the wall in addition to the pegboards.
I really didn't like any of the wire shelving options since I felt it limited me to what I could store on those shelves.
I really loved this Adjustable Storage System which would help get the big bulky garage tools off the floor such as rakes, shovels, and brooms.
I also saved this one in my cart for a later purchase for the lighter items such as mops, brooms and dusters. I loved how it had a built-in shelf and racks for the small items for gardening tools and clay pots.
You Can Organize Your Messy Garage with Only 3 Storage Solutions
I was so excited to find these products and get my messy garage in order. It only took some garage shelving, a pegboard, and wall-mounted tool organizers to complete the project.
What are your favorite garage organization tips and ideas? Do you use any of these creative storage solutions in your garage? I would love to hear about it in the comments below!
Here are the products for your garage organization project I referred to again for your convenience:
- Muscle Rack 5-Shelf Steel Shelving
- 4ft Metal Pegboard Tool Storage Kit
- FITOOL Adjustable Storage System Wall Holder for Tools
- Storability Shed Wall Mount Storage System with Wire Shelve & Baskets
RELATED ORGANIZING POSTS YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- How to Organize Your Whole House; Learn from Veteran Organizers
- Top 5 Best Pull Out Organizers for Kitchens
- Declutter Bundle Plus Free Checklists
- Decluttering Methods; Which One is Right for You?